Monday, September 9, 2013

Best Word Processing App for iPad and iPhone

I don't know about you but I love being able to leave my laptop at home. Having a productive day without the use of a laptop is quickly becoming a reality as tablets become progressively more functional. Unfortunately, in my opinion, Apple has fallen behind competitors like Microsoft in giving their customers an excuse to ditch their laptop. Now, let me first say that I am an iPad owner and I absolutely love it, but trying to use it for daily word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation creation is a nightmare! Apple offers Pages, Numbers, and Keynote but you'll pay $30 for all three (unless you buy a new iPhone 5S or 5C) and they offer little beyond basic document creation. So what other options do you have if you're ready to leave home with just your iPad?

As I searched for many months and tried countless paid apps that only offered disappointment, I stumbled
upon CloudOn which is available for both iPad and iPhone. Not only is it free to use, it offers a user interface that mirrors Microsoft Office 2010. It is so easy to use and syncs with your existing Google Drive, Dropbox, Skydrive, or Box cloud services. You can design new documents, spreadsheets, or presentations or edit existing documents. It saves in standard Office formats as well. The only caveat that I have come across is that you do have to be connected to the internet while using Cloudon. I've found that it's much easier to manipulate when I use a Bluetooth keyboard instead of the touch keyboard. Check it out and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment